Monday, June 30, 2008

8. I'm Not There


I am quite literally speechless when it comes to this movie. Having six very distinct characters portraying different aspects of one mans life may sound confusing, impossible, or maybe to us who have seen the film, spectacular. Why do I love this movie so much? There are quite a few reasons, for one, CATE BLANCHETT. I have never seen such a performance by an actress, her character, Jude, represents Bob Dylan after he becomes famous. Her drugged-up, calm, cool, jittery... and perfect portrayal of Dylan is why I still watch movies and why I believe that Hollywood is still spitting out promise. She's not the only one in the film who made an impression on me, this is one of Heath Ledger's final movies before he died, and what a movie to be in. I have never seen such passion from such a stone-faced character. Other performances pulled the movie to the height at which I love, newbie Marcus Carl Franklin plays the young boy of Bob Dylan, who proves that he's going to be the next Dakota Fanning or Abigail Breslin of Hollywood (watch out for Saoirse Ronan though, review to follow). Another actor to be talked about is the ever wonderful Richard Gere, who hits another home-run (after winning my heart in Chicago). Others in this ensemble cast must be talked about, but I only have so many words. So onto the second reason why I love this movie (not to be repetitious after my Sweeney Todd review, but...) its ARTISTIC QUALITY. Like another favorite of mine, Across the Universe, this movie is technically spectacular! A real knockout when it comes to beauty. It is hard to describe how much I loved the direction in this movie and how much I learned from it, but again, I only have so much space. So finally, the third reason--because all good things come in threes (like LOTR), the MUSIC. Bob Dylan classics blend with new spectacular voices (such as Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová from Once) and a wonderful score that moves the movie through each stage. The only bad thing I can say about this film is that there wasn't enough time to see everything I wanted to see which may have made some of the stories a little unnecessary in the way that they just brought confusion to the film. I would call this hyperlink cinema, though I am no expert, but all the different people come together in one way or another, but what do I know?

* * * ^

WON:
::Golden Globe Awards - Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett)
::Nilsson Awards - Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett--tied with Tilda Swinton for Michael Clayton)

NOMINATED:
::Academy Awards - Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett)
::BAFTA Awards - Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett)
::SAG Awards - Best Supporting Actress (Cate Blanchett)
::Nilsson Awards - Best Cinematography, Best Compiled Soundtrack

RATED R for language, some sexuality, and nudity

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home